Is there an <span class="highlight">insurance</span> company that covers for <span class="highlight">contaminated</span> <span class="highlight">fuel</span>?

Submitted: Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:04
ThreadID: 104252 Views:7929 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This has been covered (contaminated fuel) in a previous thread but are there insurance companies that catorgorically state (on paper) that they will cover the cost of engine damage due to contaminated fuel. My insurance company (CGU) state that "They will consider any claim"!!! So if anyone has lodged a claim & had that claim honoured I would be very interested in the outcome. Thanks rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:28

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:28
Hi Rob

Did you read these threads?

Fuel Contamination Insurance

and

Insurance for mechanical (bad fuel)

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517865

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:54

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:54
It will usually come under comprehensive policies and be covered as damage to your vehicle.

If you read the wording of most comprehensive policies it usually starts by saying words to the effect "We will pay for any accidental loss, damage..."

The thing to remember about insurance policies is that they must exclude something specifically if they are not going to cover it, if it isn't excluded, it is included.

Contaminated fuel causes accidental damage!

The main thing is that once you identify there is either the wrong fuel, or contaminated fuel in the vehicle that you stop driving it (I know - it sounds obvious).

I place my vehicle insurance through TCIS Brokers and currently have the Enthusiast's Policy underwritten by Assestinsure and they cover it - as accidental damage. And that is exactly what it is.

As for having it put in writing, it is unlikely they will, besides it they aren't covering it they need to tell you that...the onus is on them.

AnswerID: 517866

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:49

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:49
NRMA paid the bill for repairs to my 200 series caused by contaminated fuel. ($19,400)
AnswerID: 517869

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:12

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:12
I can see why the insurance companies may be a little evasive or outright refuse to cover fuel contamination claims.

It is an issue that could very easily give rise to abusive claims.

Someone decides that their vehicle needs a fuel system overhaul.....a bit of water or a bit of petrol in the tank and helo Uncle Bob.....complete fuel system rebuild at the insurance company expense.

A lot of this will depend on how many claims they find themselves paying that they can not recover from another source.

The best insurance you can get for fuel contamination..if you must have a common rail diesel....IS......that recipt.

Get a recipt with every fuel purchase and write the km on the back.

That way there is someone else to pass the cost onto and the insurance companies will be happier and the claim will go smoother.

Even better...use the same brand as much as you can.

cheers
AnswerID: 517876

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 16:15

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 16:15
Unfortunately, insurance abuse costs us all, and as you highlight this is another possible avenue for someone who wants to “do the wrong thing”.

Fortunately, those people making fraudulent claims remain a small percentage of those who access their insurance for legitimate claims.
FollowupID: 797721

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 20:35

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 20:35
Hi NTVRX

before I left tas to do about 4months on the mainland I rang AAMI and asked the same question, their reply was that they do cover fuel contamination as well as if I put petrol into my tanks that is also covered. I'm still travelling at the moment and hope I do not have to put their cover to the test but one never knows.
Hope this is some help to you rob.

Harvey (DBN05)
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517885

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 21:04

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 21:04
Thanks everyone.
FollowupID: 797655

Reply By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 08:47

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 08:47
Hi Rob

We experienced major mechanical problems in Port Augusta in October 2011 with our 2010 Nissan Patrol with 40,000 on the clock. The vehicle was still mobile but it was identified that the problem was the result of contaminated diesel. We lodged a claim with AAMI who paid out fully on the claim (close to $20,000) including providing us with a rental vehicle (as we had included rental car replacement) so that we could continue our travels until the Patrol repairs were completed (had to wait for parts ex Japan following tsunami) in January 2012. Top marks to AAMI - we did have to pay the excess amount on the policy as no third party was able to be clearly determined but we were fine with that. The Patrol was eventually trucked back to us. AAMI advised that the repairs were guaranteed for the lifetime of the vehicle! In addition we had RACV total care who initially provided us with a rental car (until the AAMI claim was lodged and determined) and offered us a motel and when declined paid our camp fees while we were delayed in Port Augusta for three weeks before continuing our travels. Top marks to both AAMI and RAVC - we were very impressed with the service and support we were given.

AnswerID: 517905

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:32

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:32
That's a great result Gill & Peter. Thanks for posting your info for me. Robert.
FollowupID: 797668

Reply By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 15:50

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 15:50
To confirm -'we had all the receipts for all diesel purchased since the beginning of our trip four months earlier. The receipts also had the speedo recorded. However, because our motor did not actually stop working the Nissan Service branch nor the Insurance Company were unable to identify exactly when the damage occurred. Therefore it was not possible to identify where the contaminated fuel had been purchased. The opinion was it would have been one of the last four fills but that was far from being precise enough so no third party was identified.
AnswerID: 517927

Sponsored Links